Monday, December 21, 2009

Hanoi Part 2


Woke up in the early morning at about 6.30 am. You do not need an alarm clock to wake you up cause the streets will be honking away in the busy morning. Hanoi's time is 1 hr earlier than Singapore's for your information. My friend, Thuy and I had breakfast in the morning at some street stall nearby her mom's shophouse. In Hanoi, there are many street food scattered around. They are cheap and good. Although to some it might not be hygienic, I had no problems with the food as I did not get any diarrhoea(Thank god!).

I noticed many street stalls in Hanoi do not sell rice related dishes. Most, in fact, all of I have seen were those rice noodles. But they come in many different forms like Pho which is our normal "chu mi fen"; kway teow; bee hoon; instant noodles and others which I can't remember. Anyway they are all yummy!

Met up with another of her friend, Hieu who brought us around Hanoi for sightseeing. We went to the first university of Hanoi which was over 900 years old. It's the school where officials were chosen based on imperial exams. Actually it's like a Chinese school. Basically, most of the ancient stuffs are all Chinese origin. Vietnam probably was under China at some point of time or they were very influenced by Chinese teachings in the olden days.

Inside of the university you can see traditional Chinese courtyard and rooms where the students will stay and study. In fact the students there were taught teachings of Confucius, Mencius etc. Chinese right? Haha.

This was the uniforms of the officials serving the King.

After the visit, we wanted to go to the Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum but it was closed. We managed to visit it at a later date. We then ride back to my Hieu's medical university to get another friend for some more fun! Will continue in Part 3~

No comments: