
What's this? Specks of random white lines?
This photo is actually a star trail which I took during my Astro days.
So what exactly is a Star Trail?
Star Trail is a simple camera trick that most photographers know as "bulb exposure" which means long term exposure. It's a trick which the shutter will be opened as long as possible to capture a moving object until it looks like a trail. What I do was to mount a MANUAL SLR camera on a tripod on a clear and starry night, and just open the shutter for about an hour or more. And whoa la! Star Trail! Of course taking a photo of star trail is not as easy as taking a car light trail as you need patience and clear, dark sky for a beautiful shot. Mine was still not dark enough. Of course you must take care not to overexpose your shot. Then your choice of film is important also. I'll usually use ISO800 film for those star shots as you need to capture the dim star lights. Nowadays we have digital cameras which is more sensitive and maybe able to capture such moments better. However I have not moved on to the digital edge in star photography yet. So still manual is one of the best photo taking device for such time consuming exposure.

This is an 11 hours exposure which I found from the net. Beautiful right? Looks like a painting!
No comments:
Post a Comment